Location #107 - the Weatherboard Post Office. Bannockburn-Nevis Road, west side.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||- 1901||John St Vincent Jaxon||Details|
|2||1901 - 1979||Post Office||Details|
|3||1979 - 1997||Department of Conservation||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|1639||pre 1900||The origin of location #107 may be much older than 1900.||The origin of location #107 may be much older than 1900. It appears from later research that the hut is made up of two different dwellings. One hut is constructed of pit-sawn timber and has wallpaper of the Otago Daily Witness dated 16 July 1886. The other hut appears to be made with machined timber. (1900?). The only photos of the dwelling show it as the same size at the back of the section and at the front of the section (location #343). The building is now at the back of the section again (location #496).|
|1640||c1901||Mr Jaxon sold his property to the Post Office.||Mr Jaxon sold his property to the Post Office.|
|1641||1902||Location #107 modified and became location #343.||Location #107 was moved from the rear of the section to the road frontage and modified to become the "1902 Post Office" - now location #343. This work was carried out by a carpenter by the name of Mr R H Baker, who was the brother of Mrs James Lawrence (Ada Baker).|
|1643||1901||General Notes||The Post Office was transferred from a room in the Bannockburn Hotel to the ex Jaxon hut. The first Post Mistress to work in this building was Miss Laura Parsons.|
|1644||1902||General Notes||The New Zealand Gazette of 1902 shows that on 1 Sep 1902, Miss Margaret Anderson was the post Mistress and Telephonist for Bannockburn.|
|1645||1905||General Notes||Bannockburn received daily mail from Cromwell.|
|1646||1908||General Notes||The Post Office was upgraded to a money order office.|
|1647||1910||General Notes||On 14 Jan 1910 a telephone bureau was opened in the Post Office. The telephone had been in Bannockburn since 1883, installed in the Bannockburn Hotel.|
|1648||1911||General Notes||Location #107 was shifted back to the rear of the section where it was used as a laundry and coal house for the new stone Post Office.|
|1642||1979||The Post Office coal and wash house was taken over by the Department of Conservation at this time and has remained empty ever since.||The Post Office coal and wash house was taken over by the Department of Conservation at this time and has remained empty ever since.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|309||Paul Crump||1998||Dwelling #107 - looking south west.||View Image|
|482||Miss A Parcell Collection||1899||Bannockburn Township - Bannockburn-Nevis Road.||View Image|
|483||Miss A Parcell Collection||c1912||Bannockburn Post and Telephone Office.||View Image|
|1855||DOC - Heritage Assessment, 2011||14 Oct 1905||Bannockburn Post Office - 1902-1911 (location #107)||View Image|