Location 101
Location #101 - The Bowling Green Pavilion
Map 5

North Road



Location #101 - The Bowling Green Pavilion. North Road, north side.

Still Standing


Construction Details

Timber Framed, rough cast, iron roof.

Location Type

Public Building

View Location on Map

Image Not Found

Interested Parties

The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.

Group Date Description
1 1891 - The Bowling Green Pavilion Details


The table below shows any historical notes about the location.

Note Date Short Description Note Text
1461 1891 First attempt to start a tennis and bowling club. In Dec 1891 the first attempt to start a tennis and bowling club - but nothing came of it.
1462 1906 Tennis club was formed. A newly formed tennis club and the school committee combined to put down a court in asphalt at the back of the school. Unfortunately the club, and the court only lasted a few years. The court was not on a suitable foundation.
1463 1919 Meeting to discuss formation of new tennis and bowling club. On Oct 18 1919 a meeting was organised by Mr Jas McEldowney in the Bannockburn Hotel to discuss the formation of a combined tennis and bowling club. The meeting was well attended. Mr James Ritchie was elected as chairman, Mr john Parcell as secretary, with a committee including Mr G B Bordon, Mr Jas McEldowney, and Mr Chas Ray. The outcome of the meeting was that it was decided to construct a bowling green. It appears that there was little interest in a tennis court. A site on Doctors Flat of sluiced out land north west of Horns Stable was chosen. The land had been worked for gold around 1875 by a miner named Peter Reville. This formed part of DP6832. The club applied to the commissioner of lands for it's use.
1464 1919 Meeting to discuss the location of the bowling green. On Nov 9 1919, the newly formed committee held a meeting with Mr W H Collins to discuss the location of the bowling green. Mr W H (Harry) Collins owned Gelnfogle Run at Luggate in partnership with his brother Fred. he had come from Christchurch and had some knowledge of forming bowling greens. The size of the green was to be 110ft (33.4m) square, with 10 ft (3m) wide banks. The site was very rough and there was a drainage problem on the northern end. This would require forming stone-filled drains with clay on top. The area would require the removal of all rocks on the bottom and a layer of clay 1 ft deep compacted over the whole area.
1465 1920 Formation of the bowling green. A contractor, Mr William Smoth loaned his team of horses and scoops at a reduced rate. Many locals including Jack Graham, William Parcell, Donald Cooper, John Flynn, John Short, Stan Soden, Jack Parcell and Tom Soden gave their labour with picks, shovels and wheelbarrows. The bowling green was formed on a uniform clay base. The laying of the green was supervised by Mr W H Collins who had had experience in this task. He predicted that this green with a clay base would be the best in the country. Once the leveling and soil carting was complete, the grass was sown. Mr Ritchie used 100 pound of seed, including 60 pound of Devonshire evergreen rye grass. The balance being made up of Chewing Fescue, Pra Protensus, Goa Memorallis and Loncium Perrene. Although this combination grew fairly well it was found to be not suitable for this area, so weed from the sea-coast was substituted. The green was cut ready for opening day by Mr John Short using his scythe.
1466 1921 Opening of the bowling green. The new bowling green was opened on 29 Jan 1921, with Mrs James Ritchie rolling the first bowl. Twenty players took part. Present as children were Vincent Parcell and his cousin Eileen Olds. Debentures of £5 (five pounds) each were issued to raise the one hundred pound required to pay the cost of establishing the green. The green was not really ready for playing so it was closed for the season to allow more growth. The club joined the Central Otago Centre and competed in Centre pennants. The club colours of maroon and gold were chosen. These were also the colours of the Bannockburn Football Club. On 5th Nov the official opening took place with a large crowd of over 100 well wishers and local players from adjacent clubs present. A photograph was taken to record the event. There was a full green of 56 players. The presidents wife, Mrs Ritchie provided all the afternoon tea. The first fixture game was one week after the opening day, Nov 12 at Alexandra. The following players took part. 1. J Ritchie (skip), J Parcell, W Toms, H Molyneaux. 2. C Kibblewhite (skip), R Robertson, W Sutherland, H Murray 3. D Ritchie (skip), R Voisey, S Brown, A Robertson That they were defeated 76-41 did not deter them.
1467 1922 The club purchase the old golf club pavilion. The club purchased the old Cromwell Golf Club pavilion for a club house, at a cost of £20 (twenty pounds). It was transported by Mr W Bells lorry. The clubhouse had no water tank or amenities. It is interesting to note that for nearly thirty years the water for the afternoon tea was carried by bucket by Mr R Robertson from dwelling #105.
1468 1922 General Notes. The first challenge was made for the Jolly Cup. Poplar trees were planted to improve the appearance of the ground. The club entered in the champion rinks held at Roxburgh. The rinks comprising A Fowler (skip), R Robertson, J Ritchie and J Parcell were narrowly defeated by Cromwell on an extra end. Membership of the club was 33. James Ritchie and J Vercoe both donated silver ferns for challenge play in the club.
1469 1924 General Notes. The club won it's first pennant game. Unfortunately many players were having trouble getting time off work. A team of D Corson (skip), R Robertson, J Parsons and F Brown won the Jolly Cup for the first time. The Centre Champion fours were held on the green
1470 1925 General Notes The privet hedge was planted to improve the appearance of the grounds. J Best NZ Singles champion donated a silver cup for the singles competition. John Parsons, a local 'fur trader' donated silver rabbit badges for club rink play.
1471 1926 General Notes. Bannockburn Water Race account of £3 (three pounds) was returned a being too expensive for what was received. Subs were continued at £2. Funds were raised by means of concerts and dances. A music sub-committee was formed. Champion singles were played on a three life system. It was noted that all visiting bowlers were "well entertained by the ladies" with their afternoon teas.
1472 1928 General Notes. A Walsh's patent grass comb and cultivator was ordered. However the green required more rolling as it was not fast enough.
1473 1930 The green was playing well. The combination of the cultivator and rolling proved to be successful and the green played well.
1474 1931 First Centre Title was won. The first Centre Title was won by the champion rink of Alan Campbell (skip), Bryce Ritchie, Alan Crombie and Robert Robertson. The first club pairs were played for.
1475 1934 General Notes The first Easter Tournament was held in conjunction with the Cromwell Bowling Club. Mr W Jolly donated the prizes.
1476 1936 General Notes The ladies were complimented for their refreshments and for waiting on the tables. Mr Vincent Parcell joined the club.
1477 1937 General Notes Mrs Ritchie, the presidents wife, won a new dress from her husband by drawing a toucher with the first bowl of the season.
1478 1939 General Notes. The ladies were again entertaining the visitors and were awarded honorary member status for their efforts and asked to act as a social committee. Considerable discussion was held with respect to a proposed trench to be dug running east/west down rink 1, due to growth problems and possible water logging. However, since a soil test proved inconclusive the proposed trench idea was dropped. Silver ferns, feathers and rabbits were still being played for in club play.
1479 1940 A ladies toilet was installed - at a cost of £4 (four pounds) A ladies toilet was installed - at a cost of £4 (four pounds)
1480 1941 General Notes. The poplar trees were removed. Each member was asked to remove one tree. A three pronged airing machine was procured and the green was cored.
1481 1944 General Notes. The Austin Fraser Trophy was presented by Mrs Fraser on behalf of her husband, Captain Austin Fraser, who had been the local school teacher and who was killed on active service in northern Italy. Prior to his death he had befriended members of a local bowling club in Tunisia, who had given him the trophy. Originally the trophy had been a "planters challenge trophy" played for between the clubs of Bejaoua and Manouba. The trophy has been played for handicap singles in the club ever since.
1482 1945 General Notes. Electricity was connected to the green, and the mower was converted to electric power. The annual subs were £6 (six pounds)
1483 1946 General Notes A two-life system was introduced for club singles by Dr Austin. Bryce Ritchie reached the final of the Centre Singles and on being all square after 21 ends it was directed that the game be replayed. The replay resulted in a loss to Mr W King of Alexandra by 2 ends.
1484 1947 General Notes. Two tournaments were run. Mr Tom Locke, the Dominion President commented that it was the best green that he had played on. The Centre Fours were won for the third time. The team was Alan Campbell (skip), Bart Clark, Jim Stewart and Bryce Ritchie.
1485 1948 Tuesday and Friday nights were set aside for men only. Tuesday and Friday nights were set aside for men only.
1486 1949 General Notes. The Clarke Edler cup was presented for annual competition with Cromwell. It was fist played for on 18 Feb 1949. The Bannockburn Club won on points. By now, the club colours had changed from the original maroon and gold to blue, with the Stewart tartan. However a further change saw the club colours becoming black with gold braid. Club Pairs were converted to a two-life system and partners were balloted for. A "smoke concert" was held at the end of the season.
1487 1950 General Notes. Junior Singles were introduced and won by Bert Jocelyn. Jim Stewart went to the national championship and reached the last 80 (7th round).
1488 1951 General Notes. A new pavilion (location #101) was constructed at a cost of £621 (six hundred and twenty one pound). The official opening was on 24 Feb. Kevin Scott joined the club and won the handicap singles and the pairs with Alan Campbell. The Chaffer Beetle caused problems by eating the roots of the green. A euchre card evening was held, the first of many to help with the pavilion account.
1489 1952 General Notes New mats and kitties were purchased. A silver plate for Pairs competition was donated by Mr William (Scotty) Sutherland.
1490 1953 General Notes A "bring and buy" sale was arranged to raise funds for the pavilion account. A club badge was designed by Thomas Crabbe. It depicted a blue river, a red bridge with a white crossing on it, on a background on green hills with white peaks. The Bart Clark cup was donated for Rank competition for both within the club and against Cromwell.
1491 1954 General Notes The money owing on the pavilion was cleared by raffles and card evenings organized by Jim Menzies. The Champion Rink was obtained by two selected teams playing off. Lack of water was a major problem and the green deteriorated as a result. Kevin Scott won the singles for the first time, and the pairs with Tom Crabbe.
1492 1956 General Notes Lack of water was again a serious problem. Consideration was given to forming a town scheme. The 'Diggers Cup' was won for the first time by E Kitto, E Scott (Jnr), M Heaney and F Orme (snr).
1493 1957 General Notes The Benzoni Cup was donated for club pairs competition. Cedric and Millias Benzoni had been great supporters of the club for many years.
1494 1959 General Notes The hand roller was replaced by an electric driven machine.
1495 1960 General Notes Flood lights were installed. The club held a 40th Anniversary tournament. Foundation members Ted Lawrence, Tom Crabbe and Jack Parcell played in the tournament. Kevin Scott won the singles, pairs and rinks at the Alexandra Christmas tournament.
1496 1961 General Notes The lack of water was still a serious problem. Attempts were made to bring the Carrick water down Hall Road. Picking partners for pairs was passed by 5 votes to 4. Prior to this, partners were chosen by ballot.
1497 1962 General Notes The clubs first Centre Pairs title was won by Kevin Scott (skip) and Eric Scott. Kevin Scott (skip), Bart Clark, Bryce Ritchie and Eric Scott won the Centre Fours.
1498 1963 General Notes The clubs first Centre singles title was won by Kevin Scott. This was call for great celebration as many players had been runners up (John Parsons 1925, Robert Robertson 1926, Alan Campbell 1933, John Ramsay 1934, Jim Menzies 1935, Bryce Ritchie 1946, Jim Stewart 1948, Eric Scott 1953 and Kevin Scott in 1960)
1499 1964 General Notes Water was still a problem with sacks being placed around the green to contain water when flooding.
1500 1966 General Notes The hedge on the west side was removed and replaced with a corrugated iron fence.
1501 1970 General Notes Brian Neil won the Centre Junior Singles, the first Bannockburn player to do so.
1502 1971 General Notes The club celebrated its half century in November with a tournament held on four greens. This event was so well supported that some entries had to be refused. An evening function was held in the hall on Saturday night. Despite the celebrations and a successful tournament, club membership was at an all time low of 14. Entries in the Saturday pennants were reduced to three.
1503 1972 General Notes A points system for tournaments was tried. The leads and seconds tournament was very popular with two full greens competing.
1504 1973 General Notes Shorts were officially allowed on the greens for the first time. Ted Lawrence celebrated 48 years as an active member. Five successful tournaments were run.
1505 1974 General Notes The Austin Fraser trophy was re-introduced after a lapse of a number of years.
1506 1976 General Notes Six tournaments were held. Kevin Scott was runner up in the Rothmans National Championship.
1507 1977 General Notes A motion to play for the Champion Rink as against selecting it was narrowly defeated at the annual meeting. Subs were increased to fifteen dollars. The first gala day was held.
1508 1978 General Notes The bowling green was connected to the newly formed Bannockburn Town Water Scheme. This ended nearly sixty years of battling for water. The green flooding time was reduced to 1 1/2 hours
1509 1980 General Notes A New Zealand blazer was awarded to Kevin Scott for playing singles against Australia. He won one and lost one. Champion Rink selection was again voted on and decided by the Presidents vote to continue to be selected. The Bill Neal Cup was donated by his son Brian. This cup was to be held by the winner of the first tournament of the season.
1510 1981 General Notes The club champion fours were played for. Fred Orme (snr) completed 21 years as club secretary. He had also been appointed as President twice during that time. The Noel Kean memorial trophy was donated by the Kean family. This trophy is awarded to the winner of the clubs December tournament.
1511 1982 General Notes The club house was expanded under the existing verandah. Flush toilets were installed. The work was carried out by Morrie O'Connell and Teck Kitto on a voluntary basis. The work was paid for by proceeds from a series of gala days run by the community. A telephone was also installed at the clubhouse.
1512 1983 General Notes Murray Crabbe donated an award for the most improved player. The mid-week pennant team won the seasons play. R Glassford (skip), G R Stewart, M Turner and M Crabbe won the Cromwell Easter tournament for the second consecutive year beating K Scott (skip), L Hamilton, S Scott and G Ritchie in the final. M Crabbe (skip), E Kitto, V Brown and D Tutty won the Diggers tournament. The club champion fours were back to a selection policy.
1513 1984 General Notes New lights were installed and a "Forrests" travel-on roller was purchased. Graeme Stewart and Garth Ritchie were in a team which won the South Island fours.
1514 1985 General Notes A drainage ditch was dug across the green, in the direction of south to north to ease water soakage souring the soil.
1515 1986 General Notes The last gala day was held. Graeme Stewart won the Centre Open Singles - a first for the club.
1516 1987 General Notes A "Scott Bonan" mower was purchased. The handicap pairs were played with 4 bowls each instead of 3.
1517 1988 General Notes A Clyde Dam amenity grant of twenty thousand dollars enabled the club house to be extended. new sodium vapour lights were installed.
1518 1989 General Notes The ditches were concreted and permanent edges formed. The club house was connected to the town wastewater system.
1519 1990 General Notes A new soil and mower shed was constructed. The Saturday pennant team was reduced to ten players.
1520 1991 General Notes New mats were purchased. The old "green" men's toilet was demolished. Pennant afternoon tea's were reduced to biscuits.
1521 1993 General Notes Smoking was banned from the AGM.
1522 1995 General Notes Due to low support, the leads and seconds tournament was reduced to triples. The club fours was reduced to a one life system.
1523 1996 General Notes A Club Badge was finally ordered as part of the 75th jubilee celebrations. Discussions on badges had been going on since 1950.


The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.

Image Id Source Date Short Description
5 Eileen Olds 1921 Constructing the Bannockburn bowling green. View Image
6 Eileen Olds 1921 Constructing the Bannockburn bowling green View Image
7 Gordon Stewart 5 Nov 1921 Bannockburn Bowling Club. Opening day 5 Nov 1921. View Image
8 Gordon Stewart 1984 Bannockburn Bowling Club. Ladies tour 1948. View Image
348 Mrs Eileen Olds, Cromwell 5 Nov 1921 Bannockburn Bowling Club - Opening Day. View Image
375 Mrs Eileen Olds, Cromwell 5 Nov 1921 Bannockburn Bowling Club - Opening Day View Image
573 Bannockburn School Centennial - 1871 - 1971 Booklet 24 Feb 1951 Bannockburn Bowling Club - New Pavilion View Image
683 Mr M Crabbe - Cromwell 1971 Bannockburn Bowling Club Pavilion - location #101. 50th Anniversary Celebration. View Image
1518 Mrs M Bruce - Roxburgh 24 Feb 1951 Bannockburn Bowling Club - New Pavilion Opening Day View Image