Location #154. Kawarau Bridge Toll House.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1874 - 1878||J Richards (The Kawarau Bridge Company)||Details|
|2||1878 - 1897||The Vincent Country Council||Details|
|3||c1987 - c1910||Constantine Colanitus||Details|
|4||c1910 - c1920||Frederick John Brown||Details|
|5||c1920 - 1960||Alan Campbell||Details|
|6||1960 - 1961||B Valk||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2119||1874||Location of the toll house.||The toll house was located on the Bannockburn approach, the right hand side of the Kawarau River.|
|2120||1874||Construction of the bridge and toll house.||The Kawarau Bridge timber and possibly the toll house timber was rafted down from Wanaka to Cromwell by Mr Alex Marshall. The bridge was constructed by Lewis grant and John McCormick, who may well have also built the toll house. From a painting by Mr Alex Anderson (Bannockburn school teacher 1877-1879) the toll house appears to have been a small timber framed, corrugated iron roofed building. The toll house may have originally been built for John Richards punt service (see location #156) and moved to it's new location for the Kawarau Bridge.|
|2121||1874||Joseph Berry was the toll keeper for the Kawarau Bridge.||Joseph Berry was the toll keeper for the Kawarau Bridge.|
|2122||1874||Formation of the Kawarau Bridge Company.||The Kawarau Bridge Company was formed in 1874 by John Richards, John Grant and John McCormick. For more information on the bridge itself see location #153.|
|2123||1878||The bridge was taken over by the Vincent County and became toll-free.||In Feb of 1878 the bridge was finally acquired by the government at a cost of £7000 and a grand ceremony was held to celebrate the toll-free status of the bridge. Once it became toll free there was no further use for the toll house. Unfortunately a large flood swept the bridge away, causing John Richards punt service to be reinstated for a short period of time. The toll house may well have been used with the punt service while the bridge was under repair.|
|2124||1879||The toll house became obsolete.||The Kawarau Bridge was finally rebuilt and the punt service was ended for good. At this time the toll house became obsolete. The history of the toll house is a little unclear from this point. It may have been sold and moved to Bannockburn when the bridge was rebuilt, or it may have remained at the bridge site until the new MacAndrew bridge was built in 1897.|
|2125||c1897||The toll house may have moved to North Road in Bannockburn.||About this time, the toll house may have been sold by the Vincent County and moved to North Road, Bannockburn for extra accommodation at dwelling #70.|
|2126||c1910||The Brown family purchased dwelling #70 from Constantine Colanitus, which may have included the toll house.||The Brown family purchased dwelling #70 from Constantine Colanitus, which may have included the toll house. The Bannockburn School Centennial Booklet mentions that the toll house from the Kawarau Bridge was used by the Brown family for storage. It also mentions the building being used by the Campbell family.|
|2127||c1920||The toll house was moved from dwelling #70 to dwelling #98.||Around this time it appears that the toll house was moved from dwelling #70 to behind dwelling #98 on the north side of North Road.|
|2128||c1920||The toll house was used by the Campbell family as a sleepout.||The Bannockburn School Centennial Booklet mentions that the toll house from the Kawarau Bridge was used by the Campbell family for a sleepout.|
|2129||c1960||Mr Valk purchased dwelling #98, including the toll house, from Mr Campbell.||Mr Valk purchased dwelling #98, including the toll house, from Mr Campbell.|
|2130||1961||The toll house was demolished.||The toll house was demolished by Mr Valk.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|458||Heart of the Desert - J C Parcell||c1897||The MacAndrew Bridge - from a watercolour by Mr Alex Anderson.||View Image|
|2423||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||1874||The Toll House - Kawarau Bridge 1874 (originally)||View Image|