Location #161. Kawarau Underground Coal Mine. Kawarau River, right bank Cairnmuir. Approx 100 yds (90m) downstream and below the original Wilsons portal (location #160) which had collapsed.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1951 - 1952||William James Smith Hodson and Raymond William Hodson||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2217||1951||Mine opened up by Bill and Ray Hodson.||The mine was opened up by Bill Hodson and his son Ray with the intention to intersect a seam of coal which was below the Wilson's seam. The mine was driven steeply into squeezing clay to intersect a thin seam of coal.|
|2218||1952||The mine was closed.||The mine did not prove successful because of bad ground and poor returns. The mine was extended into the old Wilson's pit and a number of pillars were removed. The inflow of water was a big problem. The mine closed, having produced 974 tons of coal. The miners who worked in this mine were : Bill Hodson, Ray Hodson, Snow Philpott, Ken Fitchett, George Crabbe.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|