Location #166. Carrick Dam.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1878 - c1887||The Carrick Range Water Supply Co||Details|
|2||C1887 - 1895||C Tippett (1)||Details|
|3||1889 - 1890||William Renshaw||Details|
|4||1889 - 1890||James King||Details|
|5||1890 - 1894||Jacob Crow||Details|
|7||c1911||Carrick Gold Mining Company||Details|
|8||c1911 - 1920||Otago Central Consolidated Gold Mines||Details|
|9||1921 - 1957||Vincent County Council||Details|
|10||1957 - 1988||The Crown (Ministry of Works and Development)||Details|
|11||1988 - 1997||The Carrick Irrigation Company||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2222||1878||Certificate of registration for a dam granted to the Carrick Range Water Supply Company.||On 8 Mar 1878 the certificate of registration for a dam was granted to the Carrick Range Water Supply Company. At this time there is no record of who constructed the dam. This dam was much smaller than Tippett's Dam (location #167) which the company had built close by in 1875. It is known that the volume of water expected to be delivered by the company's race had fallen well short of expectations. It was also decreasing with time due to the lack of maintenance, due to lack of money. It may be that Tippett's Dam had proved too large for the volume of water available. Therefore the company had constructed a smaller dam, just upstream - the Carrick Dam.|
|2223||1886||The Carrick range Water Supply Company was in serious financial difficulty.||The Carrick Range Water Supply Company was in a serious financial position. The water race had been completed from Coal Creek to Menzies Terrace, by using all of it's own money plus a large government mortgage. There was less water being supplied and the whole race was in poor condition. It may be that the company decided to seel the Carrick Dam at this time. Details of the sale of Tippett's Dam (#167) have survived, however not for the Carrick Dam. Although not complete, the transfer certificate for the Carrick Dam does mention the first owners of Tippett's Dam, Charles Tippett (1) miner, and David Anderson Jolly. Therefore, it may be that in 1887, along with Tippett's Dam, Charles Tippett (1) and J A Jolly (store owner and investor of Cromwell) also purchased the Carrick Dam.|
|2229||1895||Charles Tippett drowned in his dam (location #167)||On 30 July 1895, Charles Tippett (1) drowned in his dam (#167), two years to the day that his son Charles (2) was accidentally killed in a rugby match. As a result, on 18 Sept 1895, Samuel Tippett (miner) and James Marshall (mining agent of Cromwell) became proprietors by way of transmission of the late Charles Tippett (1).|
|2230||1895||The licence may have lapsed during this period, or there may be a transfer certificate missing.||The licence may have lapsed during this period, or there may be a transfer certificate missing.|
|2224||1889||William Renshaw purchased an interest in the dam.||On 19 May, William Renshaw (miner) purchased an interest in the Carrick Dam, possibly a 1/12th share.|
|2225||1889||James King purchased a 1/12th share in the Carrick Dam.||On 21 May 1889, James King purchased a 1/12th share in the Carrick Dam.|
|2226||1889||Jacob Crow purchased and interest in the Carrick Dam - possibly a 1/12th share.||On 20th May 1889, Jacob Crow purchased and interest in the Carrick Dam - possibly a 1/12th share.|
|2227||1890||Jacob Crow purchased the shares of Wiliam Renshaw and James King.||On 23 July 1890, Jacob Crow purchased the shares of Wiliam Renshaw and James King.|
|2228||1894||Adam Aitken (miner) purchased the 1/4 of the dam owned by Mr Jacob Crow.||On 13 Feb 1894, Adam Aitken (miner) purchased the 1/4 of the dam owned by Mr Jacob Crow.|
|2231||c1911||The Carrick Gold Mining Company Ltd, and Robert Dunkley held the licence for the Carrick Dam.||The Carrick Gold Mining Company Ltd, and Robert Dunkley held the licence for the Carrick Dam.|
|2232||1920||Carrick Dam purchased by Otago Central Consolidated Gold Mines (no liability)||On 10 March 1920, Robert Dunkley, David Patrick Cullinane and John Parker Gore sold the Carrick Dam to the Otago Central Consolidated Gold Mines (no liability).|
|2233||1921||The Carrick Dam was transferred to the Vincent County Council.||On 7 April, Otago Central Consolidated Gold Mines, transferred the dam licence to the Vincent County Council.|
|2234||1957||The licence for the Carrick Dam was transferred to the Crown.||On 24 Aug 1957, the Vincent County Council transferred the licence for the Carrick Dam to Her Majesty the Queen. The Carrick Race which ran through the dam was administered by the Ministry of Works and Development for local irrigation, however the dam was never used to store water.|
|2235||1988||The government sold the Carrick Race to the Carrick Irrigation Company.||The government sold the Carrick race to the Bannockburn Irrigation Scheme which has been formed into the Carrick Irrigation Company. The Carrick Race has now been re-aligned and the Carrick Dam does not now exist. This is due to earthworks carried out by Mr Wattam around 1997 as part of the construction of a new dam. The area of the Carrick Dam is part of Lot 61 Blk II Bannockburn Survey District and has been Crown lease land since 1927. For details of owners and occupiers see location #13.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|940||Carrick Irrigation Company||8 Mar 1878||Licence for Carrick Dam. Location #166 - Pipeclay Terrace.||View Image|