Location #179. Excelsior Coal Mine.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1885||Edward McNulty, Thomas McNulty & Robert Johnson||Details|
|2||1885 - 1888||Robert Johnson||Details|
|3||1888 - c1889||A W N Clarke & J Burrows||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2263||1885||Mine location.||The mine was located on the northern side of Slaughteryard Hill, above Carinmuir Road cattle-stop (location #467). West of the gravel road to the sewage oxidation pond. This is the highest portal on the hill.|
|2264||1885||Mine opened by the McNulty brothers.||The McNulty brothers abandoned location #377 and in April 1885 they opened a new adit (location #179) which was above and to the west of their old worked out mine.|
|2265||1885||Mine sold to Robert Johnson||In May 1885 they sold the mine to Robert Johnson who advertised in the Argus that he was selling coal at the 'Excelsior' pit for 12 shillings / ton and 20 shillings / ton in Cromwell.|
|2267||1888||The mine was sold to Mess'rs Clarke and Burrows||In June of 1888, the mine was sold to Mess'rs Clarke and Burrows|
|2269||1889||Mine was closed by the Inspector of Mines||The mine may have been worked until this time, when the inspector of mines reported that " the Excelsior Coal Mine was closed due to the coal seam being pinched out. " He also mentioned that " the mine was unsafe due to not having any pit props or pillars "|
|2270||c1906||Mine was purchased by J Hodson (1)||Mine was purchased by J Hodson (1)|
|2271||c1906||John Hodson took up the lease on the Excelsior mine||About this time John Hodson moved from Gibbston to dwelling #244. It appears that he took up the lease on the Excelsior mine which was worked out and had been idle for a number of years. Mr Hodson opened up the mine and renamed it the 'Ranfurly' however it did not operate for long.|
|2272||1909||The mine may have been connected to the 'Lady Ranfurly' mine.||Mr John Hodson opened up a new coal mine which he called the 'Lady Ranfurly' (location #185). This new mine may have been connected to the Excelsior mine underground.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|99||Cromwell Argus via Paul Crump||8 Nov 1887||Excelsior Coal Mine - Robert Johnson||View Image|
|774||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2002||Original Excelsior Coal Mine - location #179||View Image|
|775||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2002||Northern Side of Slaughteryard Hill - above Cairnmuir Road||View Image|
|792||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2002||Northern side of Slaughteryard Hill, above Cairnmuir Road.||View Image|
|2004||Cromwell Argus||27 Jan 1885||Excelsior Coal Pit (location #179), McNulty Brothers.||View Image|
|2392||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2002||Location Plan||View Image|
|2412||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||as at 2002||'Excelsior' Coal Mines - Slaughteryard Hill (locations #179 & #377)||View Image|