Location #185. Lady Ranfurly Coal Mine. Eastern slope of Slaughteryard Hill.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1909 - 1917||John Hodson (1)||Details|
|2||1913 - 1917||W J S Hodson & G Crabbe||Details|
|3||1917||The Bannockburn Coal Company||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2285||1909/1910||Mine location.||The mine was located on the eastern side of Slaughteryard Hill, above the lower Bannockburn Creek, left bank. This area has now been extensively modified by earthworks related to the lakeshore work for Lake Dunstan. The exact location has now been lost, but is thought to be approx 400m from the Kawarau River.|
|2286||1909/1910||John Hodson opened the 'Lady Ranfurly' mine.||Around 1909, John Hodson (1) had abandoned the old 'Excelsior' mine (location #179) and he opened up a new mine that he called the 'Lady Ranfurly' (location #185). It appears that this new mine was connected underground to the original 'Excelsior' mine. It is part of the Cairnmuir coal seam.|
|2287||1913||The Lady Ranfurly mine sold to Mess'rs Hodson and Crabbe.||In June of 1913 it appears that John Hodson sold the mine to William James Smith Hodson and George Crabbe. ( J P Parcell's 'Heart of the Desert' records that in June, Mess'rs W J S Hodson and G Crabbe were working the mine )|
|2288||1917||Amalgamation of the mine with other local mines.||In June of 1917 the owners of the three working coal mines in the area decided to amalgamate and form the Bannockburn Coal Company. As a result, some of the mines were closed. The Cairnmuir Coal Company's mine "The Excelsior No 2' (location #194) and the Cairnmuir Mine (location #191) would be closed down. The Lady Ranfurly mine would also be closed. The Shepherds Creek 'Kawarau' mine (location #249) of the William Richard Parcell syndicate would be the only mine to be worked.|
|2289||1917||Coal tonnage from the Lady Ranfurly.||During it's working life the Lady Ranfurly mine had produced approx 9,147 tonnes of coal.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|