Location #192. McColl, White & Phillips Coal Mine.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1862||D McColl, T White & F Phillips||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2329||1862||Mine location||The exact location is unknown at this time, however it appears that the mine may have been near the Lower Bannockburn Creek, approx 1.6 km from the Kawarau River, 0.6 km upstream of the confluence with Shepherds Creek. The mine entrance may have been on the true right bank of the Bannockburn Creek.|
|2330||1862||This may have been the first commercial coal mine in Bannockburn.||It appears that this may have been the first commercial coal mine in Bannockburn, and may have started around the same time as the first Bannockburn settlement in the Bannockburn inlet. There were no roads at this stage and the company delivered their coal by pack horse. No real information on the workings of this mine seems to have survived.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|