Location #222. Shepherds Creek Hotel. Lower Smith's Gully, Bannockburn-Nevis Road.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||c1868 - c1873||John Graham Halliday||Details|
|2||c1871||Michael Fraer (owner, non-resident)||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2490||General note.||The exact location of the Shepherds Creek Hotel is unknown. It may also have included the store (location #326). The hotel was gone by 1886 according to Stones directory.|
|2493||1865||John Halliday opens his store at Shepherds Creek.||About this time John Halliday started his store and butchery in Shepherds Creek (location #326). (1866 electoral roll records J Halliday - Shepherds Creek - Wood & Iron store )|
|2494||1865||John Halliday opens his hotel.||Around this time John Haliday started his Hotel in Shepherds Creek (location #222). This may have been built next to or onto the store.|
|2495||1869||Advert from the Cromwell Argus.||On 10 Nov, the Cromwell Argus advertised : " Shepherds Creek Hotel and Store, Bannockburn, on the main road to the Nevis, 4 miles from Cromwell. J Halliday, Proprietor. An experienced baker kept on the premises. Wine, spirits and malt liquors of the best quality. Ginger beer and cordial manufacturers " also " For sale : Eight splendid boar pigs, one month old. Suitable for breeding purposes. Apply to John Halliday, Bannockburn. "|
|2496||1871||Public meeting held at the hotel.||On 12 July 1871, a public meeting was held at the Shepherds Creek Hotel to call for support for the establishment of a public school. The meeting was attended by forty local residents, and a committee was elected to lobby the education board to either set up a public school, or to subsidize the committee to run a school.|
|2497||c1871 ?||Halliday's hotel was sold.||The Shepherds Creek Hotel was sold and brought by Michael Fraer for £350 - but he was acting as an agent for the mortgagee. Michael Fraer himself never went into the hotel business. He was the manager of a store in Cromwell, owned by Bendix Hallenstein. Halliday remained in the premises. ( from Heart of the Desert - original manuscript )|
|2498||c1873||Shepherds Creek Hotel purchased by Henry Thomas||It appears that around this time Mr Thomas and his family moved from Cornish Point to Smith's Gully where he purchased the Shepherds Creek Hotel. Mr Thomas either employed, or was in partnership with a Mr Munro who was a brewer.|
|2499||1877||Meeting held at the hotel.||In November a meeting was held in the hotel with about a dozen locals to form a junior lodge of the Good Templar - a temperance movement. It continued until around 1883.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|