Dwelling #228. Gully Road, west side, corner of Toms Road south side.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||c1915 - 1925||Robert Toms||Details|
|2||1926||William Toms (lessee)||Details|
|3||1927 - 1931||Robert Toms||Details|
|4||1931 - 1932||David John Donaldson||Details|
|5||1933 - c1954||Gordon Felix Armstrong||Details|
|6||c1954 - 1965||Alexander Wilson||Details|
|7||1965 - ?||Richard Anderson||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2547||c1915 - c1920||Robert Toms purchased his land.||Robert Toms purchased a parcel of land on the western side of Tineys Gully which included the farm run by his father Thomas Toms (1) and dwelling #449. On a site on the west side of the gully road, and the corner of Toms Road south side, he built a new house. This house (dwelling #228) was a three bedroom home, constructed of concrete, cast insitu, or homemade concrete blocks, with a timber and corrugated iron roof. Mr Toms planted an orchard of grafted apricots, cherries and walnuts. He also planted an apricot orchard on the northern side of Quartzville Road. This was later owned by Mr A R Henderson (see dwelling #13). He also helped to plant other orchards in the area.|
|2554||1925/1926||Robert leased his farm to his brother William||Mr Robert Toms leased his dairy farm and orchards to his brother William (Bill) Toms for one year. Robert Toms moved to Dunedin with his housekeeper and children where he worked as a builder on he construction of the New Zealand South Seas exhibition. It is not known if anybody lived in dwelling #228 during this time.|
|2557||c1930||Dwelling #228 was sold to Mr David Donaldson.||Robert Toms and his family moved to the new dwelling #237. Dwelling #228 and the surrounding dairy farm was sold to Mr David Donaldson.|
|2562||1933||Dwelling #228 sold to Mr G F Armstrong.||It appears that the Donaldson family left Bannockburn around this time. Dwelling #228 was sold to Mr G F Armstrong.|
|2563||1933||Gordon Armstrong purchased the farm from David Donaldson.||About this time the Armstrong family moved to Bannockburn from the Maniototo (Moa Creek). Mr Armstrong purchased dwelling #228 and the surrounding farm and orchard from Mr Donaldson. Prior to moving to Moa Creek, Mr & Mrs Armstrong ran a sweet shop in Dunedin.|
|2564||c1954||Mr Wilson purchased dwelling #228 from Mr Armstrong.||Mr Wilson moved to Bannockburn from the West Coast and purchased dwelling #228 and the surrounding farm from Gordon Armstrong|
|2565||1965||Mr Wilson sold the farm to Mr Anderson of Kawarau Station.||Mr Wilson and his family moved to Invercargill and sold dwelling #228 and the surrounding land to Mr Anderson of Kawarau Station.|
|2566||1965||Dwelling #228 was demolished.||Richard Anderson purchased Mr Wilsons property which was added to Kawarau Station. Dwelling #228 was in poor condition and of no use to Mr Anderson so he had it demolished.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|1299||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||9 Mar 1949||Bannockburn Rifle Range - Birnies Gully (location #209)||View Image|