Location #249 - Shepherds Creek No 2 Drive. Shepherds Creek - western slope of terrace between Pigroot and Adams Gullies.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1910 - 1913||Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company||Details|
|2||1913 - 1914||William Richard Parcell (2) - tribute||Details|
|3||1914 - 1917||William Richard Parcell (2) Syndicate||Details|
|4||1917 - 1920||Bannockburn Coal Company||Details|
|5||1920 - 1927||J A Gordon Syndicate||Details|
|6||1927 - 1949||John Hodson (2)||Details|
|7||1949 -||S Hewison Syndicate||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2851||1910||Mine location||Shepherds Creek - in the western slope of terrace between Pigroot and Adams Gullies. The outline of the portal is still visible however it is closed off. It is located approx 20m north of location #250. The tiphead / loading bank is still visible. The main drive was a 238m decline at a grade of 1 in 4.5. A survey plan produced by Mr G A Blaikie (surveyor) of Gore in 1943 shows location #249 as Shepherds Creek No 2 Tunnel and details the underground workings. The mine was very wet due to seepage from Adams Creek, which finally caused it to collapse. The coal seem was said to be 7m thick.|
|2852||1910||William Richard Parcell (2) was the mine manager.||William Richard Parcell (2) was the mine manager.|
|2853||1910||General notes.||At this time the Shepherds Creek No 1 mine (#248) had become worked out and William Richard Parcell (2) opened up a new mine close by. This mine was named Shepherds Creek No 2. It was set so that a large volume of coal could be worked efficiently and economically. The mine proved to be very successful and was worked in the main decline to a depth of 1,500 ft (456m).|
|2854||1913||General notes.||In April 1913, the Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company let their Shepherds Creek No 2 mine on tribute to the mine manager Mr William Richard Parcell (2). The mine then became known as the Kawarau mine.|
|2857||1914||Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company was wound up.||At this time, the Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company was wound up. The assets of the company, were purchased at auction for £500 by the William Richard Parcell syndicate of local miners. The assets included locations #248 and #249. The syndicate worked the Shepherds Creek No 2 mine, now known as the Kawarau mine. They did not work the No 1 mine (#248)|
|2859||1917||Formation of the Bannockburn Coal Company.||The owners of the three working mines in Bannockburn decided to amalgamate and form the Bannockburn Coal Company. As a result the only mine to remain open was the Kawarau mine (previously known as Shepherds Creek No 2) - location #249.|
|2863||1927||Shepherds Creek coal leases were purchased by Mr John Hodson (2)||At this time, Mr John Hodson (2) purchased the Shepherds Creek coal leases from the J A Gordon syndicate for £350. It appears that Mr Hodson worked the Shepherds Creek No 1 mine (#248) as well as the Kawarau mine (#249) at various times. He may also have opened up the Shepherds Creek mine #243 at this time. Mr Hodson employed : William McLennan Crabbe, Alexander (Sandy) Robertson, Theodore Henry Toms. The mines #248 and #249 were very wet and required extensive pumping. Mr Hodson replaced the old steam boiler with one from a traction engine and used 100mm diameter pump lines. The dampness required the use of gelignite rather than black powder which could get wet.|
|2864||c1942||Mines #248 and #249 were abandoned in favour of mine #243.||About this time mines #248 and #249 were abandoned in favour of location #243.|
|2865||1949||John Hodson accidentally killed in his mine.||Mr John Hodson (2) was accidentally killed in the Shepherds Creek Mine #243. At this time the coal leases on the Shepherds Creek mines were purchased from his estate by the S Hewison syndicate.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|778||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2002||Shepherds Creek Coal Mines - locations #247, #248 & #249||View Image|
|1030||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherd's Creek Coal Mines||View Image|
|1031||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherds Creek Coal Mines||View Image|
|1032||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherd's Creek Coal Mines||View Image|
|1037||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherds Creek Coal Mine - location #249. Portal, looking west.||View Image|
|1156||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||23 Mar 1943||Plan of Shepherd's Creek Coal Mines||View Image|
|1391||Mrs M Valk - Cromwell||c1938||Shepherds Creek Coal Mines - locations #247 to #250., Looking north.||View Image|
|2404||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||c1949||Coal Mines - Shepherds Creek - Portal Layout Plan||View Image|
|2406||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||as at 2005||Boiler Foundation for Shepherds Creek Coal Mine||View Image|
|2407||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||as at 2005||Winch Holding Down Bolts for Shepherds Creek Coal Mine||View Image|