Location #250 - Bannockburn Coal Pit Shepherds Creek - in the western slope of terrace between Pigroot and Adams Gullies.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1883 - 1887||William Richard Parcell (1)||Details|
|2||1887 -||John Johnson and Mathew Andrews||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2867||1883||Mine location||The mine was located in Shepherds Creek in the western slope of the terrace between Pigroot and Adams Gullies. The outline of the portal is still visible, however it is closed off. It is approx 20 south of location #249, and is the southernmost of the four drives. The tiphead / loading bay is still visible. Underground workings may still exist however no records have come to the authors notice at this time.|
|2868||1883||The mine is opened by W R Parcell (1)||It appears that about this time Mr W R Parcell (1) opened up this mine, No details seem to have survived.|
|2869||1887||The mine is extended.||About this time Mr Parcell extended his mine westward and struck a fault with wet running white sand which caused him to abandon part of the mine.|
|2871||1887||Location #250 was purchased by John Johnson and Mathew Andrews.||In April Mess'rs Johnson and Andrews purchased the Shepherds Creek Coal Pit from Mr W R Parcell (1). Unfortunately no details of the mine or it's workings seem to have survived.|
|2872||1938||No details of the workings are available.||The only survey plan of the mines in the area which is available does not show any underground workings for this mine.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|104||Cromwell Argus - via Paul Crump||24 Aug 1886||Bannockburn Coal Pit - William Parcell||View Image|
|105||Cromwell Argus via Paul Crump||13 Apr 1887||Bannockburn Coal Pit - Johnson & Andrew||View Image|
|106||Cromwell Argus via Paul Crump||8 Nov 1887||Bannockburn Coal Pit - Johnson & Andrew||View Image|
|302||Paul Crump||1998||Dwelling #250 - looking south east.||View Image|
|871||Alexandra Museum||c 1888||Waterlifter Patent - McComas||View Image|
|1030||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherd's Creek Coal Mines||View Image|
|1036||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2004||Shepherd's Creek Coal Mine - location #250. Portal - looking west.||View Image|
|1391||Mrs M Valk - Cromwell||c1938||Shepherds Creek Coal Mines - locations #247 to #250., Looking north.||View Image|
|1987||Mrs G Macavoy - Bannockburn||1 Oct 1887||Bill from Bannockburn Coal Pit (location #250) - to B Drake, Cromwell||View Image|
|2404||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||c1949||Coal Mines - Shepherds Creek - Portal Layout Plan||View Image|