Location #251 - Gladstone Coal Works. Actual site is unknown, but may have been in the northern slope of the terrace, true left bank of Adams Creek, near the confluence with Shepherds Creek.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1870 - 1871||John Nicholas||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2873||1870||Mine location||The exact location of the mine is not known. However, it may have been in lower Adams Gully in the northern slope of the terrace, true right bank of Adams Creek, approx 200m from the confluence with Shepherds Creek. The portal may be closed off and hidden in the scrub on the terrace, and some underground workings may still exist.|
|2874||1870||John Nicholas opened up a new coal seam in Adams Gully.||in January, Mr John Nicholas opened up a new coal seam in Adams Gully - location #251. He closed his mine in Cromwell and moved the machinery and pumps to Adams Gully. The year before he had opened up a new lignite seam opposite Richards Ferry (location #354). he continued to work this lignite mine and the new location #251. Mr Nicholas advertised his Gladstone Coal Works with pits in Bannockburn and Adams Gully. The Gladstone Coal Works in dams Gully was the first mine to use trucks and tramways.|
|2875||1871||General note.||The Bannockburn Ferry mine (#354) was leased to Alby and Goodwin and Mr Nicholas confined his operations to location #251 in Adams Gully.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|