Dwelling #283. Shepherds Creek right bank at the base of the Renshaw Range. About 800m below the Kawarau Station Homestead.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1880 - 1881||George & William Renshaw||Details|
|2||1881 - 1890||George Renshaw & family, and William Renshaw||Details|
|3||1882 (for 6 weeks)||William Richard Parcell (1)||Details|
|4||1930 - 1936||William Johnston Rae||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|2979||1880||The Renshaws arrive in Bannockburn.||The Renshaws made their way to Bannockburn where they gained employment on Kawarau Station as shepherds. The Renshaw brothers may have built or lived in a existing dwelling at Shepherds Creek, on the right bank, some distance below the Kawarau Station Homestead.|
|2984||1886||Application for land||On 21 Oct 1886, George Renshaw gave notice to the warden at Cromwell that he desired to occupy one acre of land situated at Shepherds Creek, Bannockburn, about half a mile below the Kawarau Station Homestead. This appears to be the site of dwelling #238 which had obviously been extended.|
|2987||1890||Andrew Ridland's map of Bannockburn shows :||Andrew Ridland's map of Bannockburn shows a mining claim in Pipeclay Gully in the names of King, Renshaw, Tocher. This may be James King, Wiliam Renshaw and James Tocher. It also shows a claim in Pipeclay Gully in the names of King and Renshaw, which may have been James King and William Renshaw.|
|2991||1882||The Parcell's Half Way House and store in Happy Valley burnt down.||On 30 May, Mr Parcell's Halfway House and store in Happy Valley (location #292) burnt down. The family were put up for the night at the Kawarau Homestead (dwelling #285). The following day, the family moved to dwelling #283 where they lived for 6 weeks while William Parcell and his son Henry Clyde (Harry) built their new house in Tucker Gully (Rose Cottage, dwelling #294). Along with Mr & Mrs Parcell, were their 9 children, Henry Clyde, Alice, Mary (Ellen), Wilhelmina (Mina), William Richard (2), Nesta (David), Louis Frederick, Philip May and John Patrick. At this time, the Renshaw family had been livoing in dwelling #283 since 1881. It is not clear where they were when the Parcell family moved in. They may have all lived here together for a short time while the Parcell's new house was being built. The family actually moved to the new dwelling before it was finished.|
|2993||1936||The Rae family left dwelling #283, and Bannockburn.||The Rae family left dwelling #283, and Bannockburn.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|430||Paul Crump, Bannockburn||2000||Remains of Dwelling #283 - looking north||View Image|
|431||Paul Crump, Bannockburn||2000||Remains of Dwelling #283 - looking east||View Image|
|1208||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||21 Oct 1886||Notice of occupation of residence area - for dwelling #283.||View Image|