Dwelling #30 - Terrace Road, south east side, Bald Hill Flat / Poverty Gully. Garden details - as described by the Short sisters (see #28). There was a pink rose growing over the pug house (the rose is still there). There were purple and white primroses growing around the house. There were blue and white flag lillies, and lilac bushes (still there). The following plants are still remaining : - Pink seven sister roses - Periwinkle - Daffodils - Lilacs, both pink and white - Walnut tree - Gum tree - Fig tree - Damson plums - Privet
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1878-1888||George (or possibly William) Elliott (Rented)||Details|
|2||1888-c1910||James Ireson (Rented)||Details|
|3||c1894-c1909||John Barr (Rented)||Details|
|4||c1910-c1914||Thomas Garrigan (Rented)||Details|
|5||c1914-c1915||John Short (2) (Rented)||Details|
|6||c1915-c1918||Andrew Cooper (Rented)||Details|
|7||1877 - 1929||John Short (1) - Leaseholder||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|483||1878||Mr George Elliott built dwelling #30||It appears that Mr George Elliott built dwelling #30. He was also a good gardener. He worked as a labourer and a miner.|
|490||1888||The Iresons moved into dwelling #30 in 1888||The Iresons moved into dwelling #30 in 1888. John (Jack) was known as a photographer (he had a camera). He worked away from the district a lot - and the Short sisters called him a gypsy, as he only came home occasionally. Mrs Ireson was a midwife.|
|495||c1894||Mr John Barr comes to live with the Iresons.||It appears that after the death of his wife (Susan), Mr John Barr may have come to live with the Ireson family in dwelling #30. He may have lived in an A framed tent, or hut behind the house (see #121)|
|501||c1914||John (Jack) and Annie Short move into dwelling #30||'Jack' and Annie married on 4 Apr 1912 in Mosgiel. They moved to dwelling #30 around 1914. It is unclear where they lived prior to this. Jack was working as a coal miner.|
|3646||1877 - 1929||John short may have held the lease on location #30||It appears that John Short (1) of location #32 may have held the lease from 1877 until 1929 of section 46 Block II Bannockburn Survery District ( this includes location #31 until 26/2/1929 when the lease was transferred to Wilfred Auld - see #31 )|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|1312||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||2006||Site of dwellings #30 & #121 - Hall Road. Looking east.||View Image|