Dwelling #343, 1902 Post Office. Bannockburn-Nevis Road, west side, north east corner of section.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||c1900||Mr J S V Jaxon (location#107)||Details|
|2||c1902||Post Office (now location #343)||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|3169||1902||The new Post Office was run by Laura Parsons.||The new Post Office was run by Laura Parsons.|
|3176||General notes.||Travertine or Caliche is a limestone material which has been leached out by fresh water springs to form a deposit of Calcite. This material can be roasted in a kiln then crushed to form powdered lime. When combined with sharp sand it can be used as a plaster mix for stone of brick work. This deposit may have been used to supply the lime kiln (location #358). The only reference to this deposit comes from the N.Z.G.S. bulletin No 5, the Geology of the Cromwell Subdivision, Western Otago Division, written by James Park in 1908. The location of the deposit is shown on a map in this report.|
|3170||1904||New post mistress appointed.||The job of Post Mistress was advertised and Miss Maggie Anderson was accepted for the position.|
|3171||1905||General note.||Bannockburn received a daily mail service from Cromwell, delivered by Mr Robert Toms.|
|3172||1908||Post Office upgraded.||The Post Office was upgraded to a money order and savings bank office. The post Office section was officially surveyed, becoming section 78, block 1 of Cromwell Survey district.|
|3173||1909||The Post Office Reserve was gazetted.||The Post Office Reserve was gazetted.|
|3174||1910||Telephone bureau was opened.||A telephone bureau was opened for he public to make telephone calls. (The telephone had been installed in the Bannockburn Hotel since 1883). Construction of a new stone and mortar Post Office was started.|
|3175||1911||The old Post Office was 'retired'||The new 1911 Post Office (location #108) was completed and the 1902 Post Office (location #343) was moved to the back of the section to become a wash house and coal shed. (At this point it became location #406.)|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|482||Miss A Parcell Collection||1899||Bannockburn Township - Bannockburn-Nevis Road.||View Image|
|2424||Paul Crump - Bannockburn||1911||1902 Post Office (location #343) then Wash House (location #496)||View Image|