Location #354 - Gladstone Coal Works. Approx 150m upstream of the existing Bannockburn bridge on the right bank of the Kawarau River.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1869 - 1871||J Nicholas - Gladstone Coal Works||Details|
|2||1871||Mess'rs Alley and Goodwin||Details|
|3||1871 - 1872||Mess'rs Scott & Logan||Details|
|4||1872 - 1874||R M Dagg, T Primate & J Bennet||Details|
|6||1875 - c1876||James Wilson & Alexander McLoughlan||Details|
|7||1876||James Wilson & Mathew Kirkwood||Details|
|8||1876 - c1878||Mathew Kirkwood||Details|
|9||1880 - c1883||James McNulty||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|3214||1869||Mine location.||The mine was located opposite Richard's Ferry on the Bannockburn side of the kawarau River, approx 200m west of the Bannockburn bridge (location #155 - McAndrew Bridge) and approx 150m west of the current bridge.|
|3215||1869||The opening of the mine.||In April 1869 James Nicholas discovered and opened a seam of lignite opposite Richard's Ferry on the Bannockburn side of the Kawarau River. He gave the mine the name of the Gladstone Coal Works.|
|3217||N||General notes.||On 14 April 1870, Mr Nicholas purchased the Cromwell pit by auction from Owen Owens for £710. This pit was in front of Stuarts Hotel in Melmore Terrace. When his Bannockburn mines proved more promising, Mr Nicholas closed down the Cromwell pit and moved the pumping machinery to the Adams Gully mine. He then tried unsuccessfully to sell the Cromwell pit. Finally the lease elapsed.|
|3218||1871||General notes.||In April of 1871, James Nicholas, together with John Jenkins and J L Edwards took up a new lease of 20 acres covering all the coal area of the old Cromwell pit. The intention was to eliminate any competition to his Bannockburn mines. At this time James Nicholas advertised that his Gladstone Coal Works had mines at Kawarau Ferry and Adams Gully. The name Gladstone Coal Works was given to both mones.|
|3219||1871||The Kawarau mine was leased to Alley and Goodwin.||In August, Mr Nicholas leased his Kawarau Ferry mine to Mr Alley and Mr Goodwin (names unknown). This gave Mr Nicholas time to concentrate on developing his Adam's Gully mine.|
|3221||1871||The pit was sold to Mess'rs Scott and Logan||In November, the Gladstone Coal Pit was sold to Mess'rs Scott and Logan (possibly Robert Scott and Thomas Logan ?)|
|3222||1871||The pit was sold to Mess'rs Scott and Logan.||In November of 1871, Messrs Scott (Robert?) and Logan (Thomas?) purchased the Bannockburn Ferry, Gladstone Coal Pit from James Nicholas. At this time, the name of the mine may have been changed to the ''Newcastle' pit. Scott and Logan installed a 'chair' over the Kawarau River to transport their coal (see location #387)|
|3224||1872||The mine was purchased by Mess'rs Dagg, Primate and Bennet.||Mess'rs Scott and Logan sold the pit to Mr R M Dagg, Mr T Primate and Mr J Bennet. The new owners changed the mines name to 'Platchets Mine'|
|3226||1874||The mine was purchased by James Stuart||James Stuart purchased the Platchets mine, which was again renamed to the Newcastle Pit.|
|3228||1875||The mine was purchased by James Wilson and Alexander McLoughlan.||James Stuart sold the Newcastle pit to James Wilson and Alexander McLoughlan. Alexander McLoughlan gave up his share in the mine and James Wilson sold the share to Mathew Kirkwood.|
|3229||c1876||Mathew Kirkwood purchased Alex McLoughlans share in the Newcastle pit.||Mathew Kirkwood purchased Alex McLoughlans share in the Newcastle pit.|
|3230||1876||General note.||In June it was discovered that there was no title to the mine. At this time the partnership was dissolved, but Mr Kirkwood continued to work the Newcastle pit.|
|3232||c1878||It appears that the Newcastle pit was closed at this time.||It appears that the Newcastle pit was closed down at this time.|
|3233||1880||James McNulty tool up a lease on the pit.||In June of 1880, James McNulty too up a lease on the Newcastle pit, however the returns were poor.|
|3234||c1883||The pit was finally closed.||in appears that the Newcastle pit was finally closed down around 1883.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|