Location #380 - Pigroot Coal Mine Mouth of Pigroot Gully, south side of the ridge between Pigroot and Long Alex Gully.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1887 - c1888
|W R Parcell and E Jones
|c1888 - 1890
|William Richard Parcell
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|At the mouth of Pigroot Gully, on the base of the ridge between Pigroot and Long Alex Gullies.
|Opening up of the mine.
|After finding coal in their prospecting shaft (location #508) Mess'rs Parcell and Jones moved down from the ridge to the gully. They opened up a mine at the base of the ridge, on the northern side of Pigroot Gully, close to the mouth with Shepherds Creek. The mine was opening up well until they got down to the water level. Mr Parcel constructed two man powered Californian pumps to try and control the water. However they proved to be unsuitable for the task.
|About this time, William Parcell brought out his partner Evan Jones.
|About this time, William Parcell (1) brought out his partner Evan Jones. Mr Parcell continued to work the mine.
|The mine is abandoned.
|At this time William Parcell abandoned his Pigroot Gully Coal Mine, probably because he could not successfully control the inflow of water at depth.
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Paul Crump - Bannockburn
|Shepherds Creek Coal mines (locations #184 and 380)