Location #420 - Tennis Court Lower Smith's Gully. School house grounds, Schoolhouse Road.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1892||Bannockburn Tennis Club||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|3385||1891||General notes.||In December of 1891 the first attempt to start a tennis and bowling club was made, but nothing became of it.|
|3386||c1892||Tennis club is formed.||It appears that a tennis club was formed about this time. A clay court may have been formed at the school in Lower Smith's Gully. It seems to have been a joint venture between the newly formed club and the school committee.|
|3387||1897||Report from Cromwell Argus.||The Cromwell Argus reported that : " The Bannockburn Tennis Club donated 15/- (fifteen shillings) to he school committee.|
|3388||1907||The tennis court is asphalted.||The tennis court was asphalted and fenced at a cost of £40 (forty pounds). Unfortunately the court only lasted a few years because the clay foundation shifted and spoiled the surface beyond repair. The tennis club appears to have gone into recess about this time.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|866||Otago Daily Times - Alexandra Museum||1912||Bannockburn School - Looking north.||View Image|
|1954||Mrs J Smallfield - Dunedin||c1930||Bannockburn School - looking north.||View Image|
|2356||Mr R Anderson - Bannockburn||24 Feb 1968||Third Bannockburn School Pool - location #436||View Image|