Dwelling #449 Corner of Jocelyn Road & Gully Road, western side of creek. Shown on cadastral Murray Rd c1911
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||c1875 - 1922||Thomas Toms||Details|
|2||c1875 - c1932||Mrs Laticia Toms||Details|
|3||1914 - c1916||Edward Lawrence||Details|
|4||c1924 - c1930||Mrs E Parcell||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|3446||c1875||Mr Toms built dwelling #449||Thomas Toms (1) and his growing family moved from their sod house (dwelling #231) to a newer, bigger pug house (dwelling #449) which Mr Toms had built lower down Tineys Gully. Most of the iron roofing for the new house was to come from the old house. When the roof was removed from the old house the family had to spend the night in the open. Unfortunately that night it rained and everybody got very wet.|
|3447||Thomas and Laticia brought up their family in dwelling #449||Thomas Toms (1) and his wife brought up their large family in dwelling #449. Mr Toms was illiterate and his wife Laticia did all his writing and kept all of his records.|
|3456||1922||Mrs Toms continued to live in dwelling #449||Mrs Toms continued to live in the dwelling after her husbands death. She regularly walked to visit her children's homes and family's who lived in the gully, as well as friends further away. One of her regular walks was to dwelling #244 on the Bannockbutn-Nevis road, at the mouth of Pigroot Gully to visit her daughter Emma (Mrs P M Parcell)|
|3457||c1924 & c1930||Mrs Emma Parcell also lived in dwelling #449 for a period of time.||Mrs Parcell spent some time at dwelling #449 caring for her mother.|
|3458||c1931||Edward Lawrence boarded in dwelling #449 for a period of time.||Edward Lawrence boarded in dwelling #449 for a period of time.|
|3459||c1932||Mrs Toms moved to dwelling #237.||Due to her failing health, Mrs Toms moved to dwelling #237 and was cared for by her son Robert and his second wife Maggie.|
|3461||1914||Edward boarding at dwelling #449.||Ted Lawrence, at the age of 14 years took up a job as a driver for his uncle Robert Toms. The job paid £1 per week with keep. Ted boarded with Roberts mother, Mrs Laticia Mary Anne (Granny) Toms in dwelling #449. The work involved driving a gig, then wagons, from Bannockburn to the Nevis. Robert Toms has promised Ted a rise in pay, however after 2 years he told him that he could not afford one.|
|3466||c1924 - c1930||Emma Parcell spent some time caring for her mother in dwelling #449.||During this time Mrs Parcell and her children spent some time living with and caring for her mother Laticia Mary Anne Toms in dwelling #449.|
|3468||1931||General notes.||Theo Toms, his wife Ellen, and their young son James moved back to Bannockburn from Glenore (north of Milton) where he had been working as a shepherd. The family stayed in dwelling #449 with Theo's grandmother Laticia Mary Anne for about 6 months. Theo found work as a coal miner with John Hodson (2) in his Shepherds Creek mines (#248 and 249). After staying in dwelling #449, Theo and his family moved to dwelling #61 where they lived with Mrs Harriet Hancock (the other grandmother of Theo)|
|3469||1932||Dwelling #449 appears to have been unoccupied.||Dwelling #449 appears to have been left empty after Mrs Laticia Toms moved to dwelling #237 around 1932. The building was in ruins by the 1940's.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|226||R Murray||c1910||Theo Toms (boy) with his mother Mrs Jane Margaret Toms.||View Image|
|1947||Ms B Holland - Wellington||c1940||Dwelling #449 - Gully Road. Looking west.||View Image|