Location #55 - Terrace Road, south side - Library, Post Office and School of Mines
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|2||1884 - 1887||Library||Details|
|3||1885 - 1892 ?||School of Mines||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|721||1884||Post Office and Library moved to location #55||The post office and library was shifted from location #215 (school in Smith's Gully) to location #55 in 1884. On June 2 Mr Joseph Llewellyn Moore took up the job of postmaster, telegraphist and librarian. The telegraph from Cromwell to Bannockburn was established around this time.|
|722||1884||Mr George Whetter took over as postmaster.||Mr George Whetter who was a trained postal officer from Cromwell took over. On July 2nd, under his control the post office was upgraded to offer money orders and savings bank facilities.|
|723||1884||Mr Moore once again takes over as postmaster.||Mr Moore took charge again. With the departure of Mr Whetter the post office lost its money order and savings bank facilities.|
|724||1884||The Post Office shifted to the Bannockburn Hotel||In December 1884 the Post Office was shifted to the Bannockburn Hotel (location #115) where the publican, Mr John W Robertson took over the job of postmaster. The library continued to be housed in location #55, with Mr Moore as the librarian.|
|725||1884-1887||The library remained in location #55 after the post office was relocated to the Bannockburn Hotel (#115)||The library remained in location #55 after the post office was relocated to the Bannockburn Hotel (#115). The School of Mines was established and shared location #55 from 1885 to 1887.|
|726||1887||In 1887 the library was shifted from location #55 to location #56 - the hall and athenaeum. Mr Moore continued as the librarian until 1896.||In 1887 the library was shifted from location #55 to location #56 - the hall and athenaeum. Mr Moore continued as the librarian until 1896.|
|727||1885||School of Mines established.||In January 1885 the Otago School of Mines was established in Bannockburn. The school has a well equipped metallurgical laboratory. This included an excellent collection of 280 mineral specimans in glass cases which had been collected by Sir Julius Von Haast and brought back from Australia. Professor Black lectured several times but the bulk of the work was undertaken by Messers Goodlet, McClymont and Harmann. Lectures were also given by Professor Park. The School of Mines shared location #55 with the library until the library was shifted to the jubilee hall and athenaeum (#56).|
|728||1890||Closure of the School of Mines||Closure of the School of Mines|
|729||1894||The school was re-opened and carried on spasmodically until 1898 when it was finally closed down.||The school was re-opened and carried on spasmodically until 1898 when it was finally closed down.|
|730||1898||School of Mines finally closed down.||School of Mines finally closed down.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|