Location 61
Dwelling #61 - The Coal House
Map 5

Address
Nevis Street

Area


Description

Dwelling #61 - The Coal House - Nevis Street, west side. The Coal House was built as the managers house and the office for the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company.


Still Standing

Yes



Construction Details

Timber framed, weather board, with galvanised corrugated iron roof. The south end was constructed as a separate room - even with double studs, all under one roof. This was originally the coal company office but was later used as separate accomodation.

Location Type

Dwelling
Commercial Building


View Location on Map

Image Not Found

Interested Parties

The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.

Group Date Description
1 1901 JohnSt Vincent Jaxon Details
2 1902 Thomas Barclay Details
3 1902 - 1908 Alexander Sinclair Gillanders Details
4 1908 - c1909 William Richard Parcell Details
5 c1909 - c1915 Edward James Isles Details
6 c1915 - c1926 John Patrick Parcell Details
7 c1928 - 1935 Mrs Harriet Hancock Details
8 c1926 - c1928 William Olds Details
9 c1929 Andrew Coleman McEloy Details
10 c1929 - 1931 William M Helm Details
11 1931 - 1935 Theodore Henry Toms Details
12 1935 - c1940 John O'Brien Parcell Details
13 1935 - 1958 William Richard Parcell Details
14 c1940 - c1943 Mr & Mrs Henderson (1) Details
15 c1946 - c1970 William Olds Details
16 1946 / 1948 (?) John Patrick Parcell Details
17 1948 - 197? Joe King Details
18 197? - 1982 Murray Thomas Dennison Details
19 1982 - c1990 David Benjamin Details
20 c1990 - c2000 Mrs Jill Benjamin Details
21 c2000 - 2007 Mrs Jill Mansell Details

Notes

The table below shows any historical notes about the location.

Note Date Short Description Note Text
840 1901 Mr Jaxon was appointed the manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company. Mr Jaxon was appointed the manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company.
842 1902 Mr Thomas Barclay arrived in Bannockburn from Kaitangata. He was appointed as manager of the Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company. Mr Thomas Barclay arrived in Bannockburn from Kaitangata. He was appointed as manager of the Cromwell & Bannockburn Colliery Company.
851 1902 Late in 1902, Alexander Gillanders and his family moved to Bannockburn to take up the appointment of Manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company. Late in 1902, Alexander Gillanders and his family moved to Bannockburn to take up the appointment of Manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company.
858 1908 Mr Wiliam Parcell (2) appointed as manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company. Mr Wiliam Parcell (2) appointed as manager of the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company in July of 1908. The family moved from dwelling #59 to dwelling #61.
862 1914 Mr John Patrick Parcell purchased the 'Coal House' Mr John Patrick Parcell purchased the Coal House from the Cromwell and Bannockburn Colliery Company at the auction when the company was wound up. He purchased the house and three and a half acres (1.4 ha) for £155 (one hundred and fifty five pounds)
880 1946/1948 It appears that the Parcels may have moved back into dwelling #61 around this time, although the dates are unclear. It appears that the Parcels may have moved back into dwelling #61 around this time, although the dates are unclear.
865 c1928 Mrs Harriet Hancock moved into dwelling #61 with her in-laws. Mrs Harriet Hancock moved from dwelling #64 to the one room flat (ex coal company office) attached to dwelling #61, where her daughter Sarah and husband John Patrick Parcell lived.
867 c1926 - c1928 Mr William Olds may have lived in dwelling #61 on his own, or he may have lived with the Parcell family during this time. Mr William Olds may have lived in dwelling #61 on his own, or he may have lived with the Parcell family during this time.
878 1946 The Olds family moved into dwelling #61 following a fire which destroyed dwelling #195. The Olds family moved into dwelling #61 following a fire which destroyed dwelling #195. They lived in #61 along with John Patrick Parcell. The house was divided into two parts, one was always the Coal Co managers residence while the other was the office section. Over time the office had been converted into a flat. It may have been that Mr & Mrs J P Parcell lived in the flat, while the Olds family lived in the managers residence.
868 1935 The McElroy family rented dwelling #61 - it is not know for exactly how long. It appears that the McElroy family moved from Hawkesbury Station to Bannockburn so that Ron and Clutha could go to the Bannockburn school. The family rented dwelling #61 but it is not clear for how long.
870 1929 - 1930 The Helm family rented dwelling #61 from Mr & Mrs Olds, or the J P Parcell family. The Helm family rented dwelling #61 from Mr & Mrs Olds, or the J P Parcell family.
871 1931 The Toms family move into dwelling #61. Theo. Toms, his wife, and son moved from dwelling #449 to dwelling #61 where they shared the house with Theo's grandmother, Mrs Harriet Hancock. Mrs Hancock was living in the office-flat. Mr Toms continued to work for John Hodson (2) in his Shepherds Creek coal mines (locations #248 and #249)
873 1934/35 - c1946 General Notes. It appears that Mr J O Parcell may have lived here as a single man. He served in WWII, returned and married Eileen Thomson. It appears that the couple settled in Tarras.
875 1935 - 1958 It seems that Mr W R Parcell and his wife may have lived in the office - flat in dwelling #61. It seems that Mr W R Parcell and his wife may have lived in the office - flat in dwelling #61.
877 c1940 + Mr & Mrs Henderson living in dwelling #61 Mr & Mrs Henderson (Sen) moved from dwelling #116 where they had lived with their son Mr Weir Henderson and his family. They had planned on staying in dwelling #61 while their new home was built beside dwelling #116. However their plans changed and they left Bannockburn, returning to Dunedin.
882 c1970 Joe King purchased dwelling #61 and surrounding property. Mr Joe King and his wife were Hungarians, and Mrs King could not speak any English. They purchased dwelling #61 and the surrounding land from the Parcell/Olds family. Mr King planted an apricot orchard on the property.
884 197(?) Mr Murray Thomas Dennison and his wife Wendy purchased the property in the 1970s, and over time extended the apricot orchard. Mr Murray Thomas Dennison and his wife Wendy purchased the property in the 1970s, and over time extended the apricot orchard. For more information on the Dennison family refer to dwelling #6.
885 1982 The Dennisons subdivided the property and sold dwelling #61 to Mr David Benjamin. The Dennisons subdivided the property and sold dwelling #61 to Mr David Benjamin.
886 1982 Mr David Benjamin and his wife Jill purchased dwelling #61 from Mr Dennison. Mr David Benjamin and his wife Jill purchased dwelling #61 from Mr Dennison.
887 c1990 Mr & Mrs Benjamin separated and Mrs Benjamin took over the property. Mr & Mrs Benjamin separated and Mrs Benjamin took over the property.

Images

The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.

Image Id Source Date Short Description
64 Eileen Olds c1950 Afternoon Tea Party for Miss Annie Crow. View Image
304 Paul Crump 1998 Dwelling #61 - looking south west. View Image