Location #93 - The Methodist Church. North Road, north side.
The table below shows the groups of people that had an interest in this property, either as owners, residents, tenants or shareholders. Clicking on the 'Details' link will display a list of the individuals in the group along with any known historical information about them.
|1||1893 -||The Methodist Church||Details|
|2||c1966-1990||James Lewis Hodson||Details|
|4||1997 -||Mrs Barry||Details|
The table below shows any historical notes about the location.
|Note||Date||Short Description||Note Text|
|1391||1889||Band of Hope formed by the Rev. W Ready.||In 1889 a Band of Hope was formed by the Rev. W Ready. Meetings were held at the Athenaeum Hall in Bannockburn. These meetings wre conducted by the Rev. David Lanyon of the Bible Christian Mission. He left in February of 1890 and his place was taken by Rev. Gibb. The Band of Hope continued for a number of years being led by the Rev. Quintrell.|
|1392||1890||The Rev. Quintrell.||in Sep 1890 the publication "The Bible Christian" recorded that the Rev. Quintrell was living in Bannockburn. It may be that the Rev. Quintrell was boarding with the family of J R Ball who were loyal Bible Christians and lived in dwelling #68. The Rev Quintrell may have been living in dwelling 367. in 1891, Rev Frederick Quintrell married Annie Ball, and the couple may have been living in dwelling #67.|
|1393||1892||General Notes||The Rev. Barton H Ginger took charge and also formed a Mutual Improvement Society. He was a very energetic man and the Bible Christians as they came to be known were well organised and supported by the locals. The Williams family (dwelling #3) were very loyal supporters, with E J Williams becoming a minister of the church.|
|1394||1893||The Methodist Church is built.||On 26 Sep 1893 the foundation stone of a new church was laid by Mrs Oates from England (nee Olds, sister of R Olds) and under the stone were placed a sovereign and a copy of the Cromwell Argus newspaper. The group built their own church. A poem-song was written about the construction with reference to Ellis Williams ( E J Williams father ) plastering the walls with his bare hands. The church was described as being stone walled with an iron roof and match-lined ceiling. The inside walls being plastered and whitened. It was illuminated by four Rochester lamps and could accommodate one hundred people. It was built at a cost of £165 (one hundred and sixty five pounds). The stones were obtained from the surrounding mining claims and placed by Mr Gair, a stonemason from Cromwell. The Rev. Barton H Ginger also worked on the building himself. The group also built a fence around the church.|
|1395||1895||Advertisement from Cromwell Argus 2 May 1895.||The Band of Hope, which is connected with the Bible Christians Church, has arranged a Magic Lantern entertainment evening to be held on Tuesday night, 9 May. The number of slides provided should make an evening of profit and amusement, and it is hoped that a good number will rally around those who undertake the management. (as advertised in the Cromwell Argus 2 May 1895)|
|1396||1900||First marriage in the church.||The first marriage conducted in the church was that of Mr William McCabe and Miss Maggie Menzies. The second marriage was that of Mr William Toms and Miss Jean Hancock, which was conducted by the Rev. Hosking.|
|1397||1908||Report from Cromwell Argus 5 Jan 1909.||Mr George Crabbe, second son of Mr James Crabbe and old resident of Bannockburn was married to Miss Annie Hodson, second daughter of Mr J Hodson, on Wednesday Dec 30. The service was conducted at the Bannockburn Methodist Church by the Rev. A Reader. Mr R Toms acted as the best man, and Miss Crabbe was bridesmaid. After the ceremony the happy couple and the guests adjourned to the Athenaeum Hall to partake of the wedding breakfast which was beautifully laid out. In the evening a dance was held and a very enjoyable few hours were spent by the large crowd present. (as reported in the Cromwell Argus 5 Jan 1909)|
|1398||1918||General Notes.||The Rev A L Witherford built the pulpit for the church. Services were held at 11 am by Rev. A L Witherford. The Rev. Teague erected a fence around the church. He also ran a very successful flower show for several years. The proceeds from these shows was equally divided between the Methodist and Presbyterian churches.|
|1399||1930||A car was purchased for the minister.||A Ford car was purchased for the minister to serve his circuit. This replaced a bicycle, which had in turn replace the original horse transport.|
|1400||1946||Services were held at 7.00 pm||Services were held at 7.00 pm|
|1401||1948||Part of the church property was sold to Mr J L Hodson.||Part of the property (1 rood 8 perches - 1210 m2) was sold to Mr J L Hodson for £5 (five pounds). The original size of the property had been 2 roods (2020 m2), which was to accommodate the church, a parsonage and grazing room for a horse.|
|1402||c1965||It appears that the church was closed around this time.||It appears that the church was closed around this time.|
|1403||1971||Mr Ralph Allen (dwelling 69) remembers the church still being furnished, and complete with organ in January of 1971.||Mr Ralph Allen (dwelling 69) remembers the church still being furnished, and complete with organ in January of 1971.|
|1404||1972||In June 1972 the remaining property and the church building were sold to Mr J L Hodson for $500.||In June 1972 the remaining property and the church building were sold to Mr J L Hodson for $500.|
|1405||1972||Mr Hodson purchased the remainder of the church property.||In June of 1972, Mr Hodson purchased the remaining part of the property and dwelling #93. The church remained empty, some of the pews were donated to the Presbyterian church (location #58). The building was used for general storage for a time. Wright Stephenson & Co, the stock and station agents rented the building as a seed store for some time.|
|1406||c1990||My Hodson sold the church to Mr Barry of Dunedin.||After many offers to buy the church over a number of years, Mr Hodson sold dwelling #93 to Mr B R Barry of Dunedin.|
|1407||c1990||Property purchased by Mr B R Barry||The church was used as a family crib on a regular basis until a family split in 1997.|
|3264||?||Shown on a map drawn by P Parcell in Bannockburn School jubilee booklet.||Shown on a map drawn by P Parcell in Bannockburn School jubilee booklet.|
|1408||1997 -||Mrs Barry has been living in the property since c1997.||Mrs Barry has been living in the property since c1997. Members of the extended family also appear to live in the property from time to time. The building and the property and now in a very run down state.|
The table below shows a list of images related to the location. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.
|Image Id||Source||Date||Short Description|
|31||School Centenary Booklet||Unknown||Methodist Church||View Image|
|303||Paul Crump||2000||Dwelling #93 - looking north east.||View Image|
|967||Land Information NZ - Dunedin||9 Nov 1923||Bannockburn Survey 1921-1923. Surveyor S T Burton. Field Book 1166 - page 47||View Image|
|968||Land Information NZ - Dunedin||1921-1923||Bannockburn Survey 1921-1923. Surveyor S T Burton. Field Book 1164 - page 35(a)||View Image|