W J S Hodson
Location #242. Dam.
Group Number 1

Group Members

The table below shows the people that make up the group.

No Last Name First Names Maiden Name Relationship Occupation Born Died School Year
1 Hodson William James Smith Owner


The table below shows any historical notes about the party group.

Note Date Short Description Note Text
2742 c1918 Location of the dam

Eastern side of Jocelyn Road, on terrace between Jocelyn Road and the Bannockburn-Nevis Road. Near the head of Toms Gully, south of dwelling #241.

2743 c1918 General notes.

About this time Mr William James Smith Hodson constructed the dam to hold water from the Bannockburn (Shepherds Creek) water race to irrigate his 'Hyawatha' orchard. The dam was made from the surrounding Carrick gravels and lined with clay using a horse and scoop.

2744 1948 Death of John Parcell in the dam.

On 10 May 1948, John O'Brien Parcell (son of J P Parcell of dwelling #61) was accidentally drowned in mud while cleaning out the dam for Mr J D parsons. He was dug out by Ted Lawrence. John O'Brien was buried in the Cromwell cemetery.


The table below shows a list of images related to the party group. Click on 'View Image' to display more details about the image, and to view the image.

Image Id Source Date Short Description